A Call To Participate in the Open Content Alliance
Please join an Open Content Alliance (OCA) made up of cultural, technology, nonprofit, and governmental organizations from around the world, which will offer broad, public access to a rich panorama of world culture by building a permanent archive of multilingual digitized text and multimedia content. By creating a growing archive of digital materials, the OCA will serve the combined interests of its contributors and the global community of Internet users. Contributors will donate collections, services, facilities, tools and/or funding to the OCA.
The contributing organizations support the following principles:
- The OCA will encourage the greatest possible degree of access to and reuse of collections in the archive, while respecting the rights of content owners and contributors.
- Contributors will determine the terms and conditions under which their collections are distributed and how attribution should be made.
- The OCA need not be obligated to accept all content that is offered to it and may give preference to that which can be made widely accessible.
- The OCA will offer collection and item-level metadata of its hosted collections in a variety of formats.
- The OCA welcomes efforts to create and offer tools (including finding aids, catalogs, and indexes) that will enhance the usability of the materials in the archive.
- Copies of the OCA collections will reside in multiple archives internationally to ensure their long-term preservation and accessibility to all.
The OCA will be administered by the nonprofit Internet Archive and governed by representatives of contributing organizations.
If you are interested in participating please write to oca at archive dot org.